Using transportation has never been easier, especially since Uber was first introduced. This is a very common ridesharing option for those in Downey, California, as it provides a convenient option for getting around the city. But like any kind of transportation, there is also the risk of getting into an accident and being injured.
If you have been in an Uber accident and you want to file a claim, the process can feel very daunting. This is where a Downey Uber accident lawyer from The JLF Firm can help you determine your options and how to proceed.
How Do Uber Rideshare Accidents Happen?
If you want to file a claim after an Uber accident, it is important to figure out what caused the accident to occur. This is going to help you figure out who is liable so that you can receive compensation. The best way to get this information is to hire a Downey Uber accident attorney who will collect evidence to support your claim.
Some of the most common causes of Uber accidents include speeding, distracted driving, and failing to yield to other vehicles. The driver may also be driving under the influence or be fatigued, which can reduce their focus and ability to stop in time.
Can Anyone Drive for Uber?
Because Uber is responsible for its drivers, it has specific regulations that they must meet to become an Uber driver. This is important since these precautionary measures ensure only qualified drivers are responsible for transporting passengers.
For California, Uber requires its drivers between 21 and 25 to have three years of driving experience. For drivers over the age of 25, they need to have at least one year of driving experience.
How Does Insurance Work in an Uber Accident?
If you have been injured in an Uber accident in Downey, CA, one of the most important things to figure out is how the insurance works. Uber has a $1 million auto insurance policy that is designated to compensate Uber accident victims.
For the auto insurance policy to apply, the driver has to be logged into the Uber driver app at the time of the accident. The driver must also be actively transporting a passenger or waiting to pick up the passenger.
If an Uber accident happens outside of these times, the driver’s personal auto insurance policy is the only policy that applies. This will provide some level of financial protection since California law requires motorists to have auto insurance.
It is important to remember that even if Uber’s $1 million insurance policy applies, Uber may still argue over who is liable. That is why it is essential to hire a Downey Uber accident lawyer to negotiate on your behalf.
Compensation Available for an Accident Involving an Uber
Whether you are an Uber passenger or another driver, you may be able to receive compensation after an Uber accident. This applies if you are not liable and the responsibility falls on the driver or on Uber.
You can receive compensation for bodily injuries if your earning potential is reduced or you suffer lost wages. You can also get compensation to cover medical expenses, future medical care, and medical equipment or medications.
If you were another driver involved in the accident, damage to your vehicle may also apply for compensation in your claim.
What to Do After an Uber Accident
Whether you are an Uber passenger or another vehicle involved in an Uber accident, there are certain steps you need to take. These steps can be crucial when it comes to filing a claim to receive compensation.
Here are some of the first things you should do after an Uber accident has occurred:
- Get medical attention: Your primary concern is ensuring you and any other passengers are safe after an Uber accident. If anyone is injured, have them stay as still as possible and seek medical care.
- Exchange information: If you were not seriously injured after an Uber accident, you should exchange information with the Uber driver. This includes getting their name, contact information, Uber’s contact information, and other documentation.
- Notify your insurance provider: After any kind of vehicle accident, you need to notify your insurance company. Some insurance companies have a timeframe that you have to follow to do this, and you may be required to report the accident to the Department of Motor Vehicles as well.
- Document evidence: It is a good idea to start documenting evidence to support your accident claim at the scene of the accident. This includes photographing any damage or bodily injuries and getting the contact information from witnesses.
- Hire an attorney: As soon as you are able, you will want to hire a Downey personal injury attorney who can help you create a strong case after an Uber accident.
How a Downey Rideshare Accident Attorney Can Help
If you have been injured in an Uber accident, The JLF Firm is here to help you build a strong case so that you can receive the compensation you deserve. You can contact us today by messaging us through our website or call us directly at 888-341-3071. Our Uber accident attorneys can guide you through the legal process and negotiate with Uber and their insurance providers.