As a pedestrian in Riverside, you have legal rights, such as the right-of-way, that drivers must honor to ensure your safety and avoid accidents. However, this is not always the case. Some drivers ignore or don’t pay attention to these rights and end up causing costly pedestrian accidents.
If you or someone you know is struck by a car, truck, bus, or any other automobile and sustain injuries in Riverside, don’t hesitate to call The JLF Firm at 888-341-3071.
Our experienced pedestrian accident attorneys are ready to help determine whether or not your claim is valid, make a claim or case, and ensure you get maximum compensation.
Attorneys for Injured Pedestrians in Riverside
Pedestrian accidents are generally the most fatal type of traffic accidents since you do not have any structural protection to shield you from the impact of a vehicle or automobile crash. They are also more common than most people realize.
A pedestrian accident mostly involves the collision of a vehicle or automotive and an individual walking on the streets or sidewalks. It can also occur while one is walking near the street, using a crosswalk, or entering/exiting a vehicle in Riverside. Even if pedestrians take every precaution and follow traffic laws while on the roads or streets of Riverside, a negligent driver can still cause them serious injuries.
Pedestrian Accident Injuries in Riverside
After an accident involving an automobile, you may be physically, mentally, and emotionally damaged, all at no fault of your own. Some common injuries incurred during pedestrian injuries include:
- Head trauma.
- Spinal injuries.
- Traumatic brain injury.
- Severe lacerations.
- Psychological discomfort and mental anguish.
The severity of pedestrian accidents differs depending on the degree of injury. You may have bruises, a rattled brain, or broken bones. But, it’s worth noting that you are entitled to financial compensation whether or not the injuries are severe.
Our team of experienced pedestrian accident attorneys at The JLF Firm is ready to handle your case to help you recover physically and financially.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
Distraction and recklessness are the number one causes of pedestrian accidents in Riverside. However, negligence also plays a great role. If you feel that a motorist was negligent, leading to an accident, don’t hesitate to reach out to us to ensure you are compensated.
Other common causes of pedestrian accidents include:
- Driving under the influence (DUI) or driving while intoxicated (DWI).
- Distraction from texting or speaking on the cell phone while driving.
- Defective vehicle parts.
- Drivers neglecting crosswalks.
- Failure to use turn signals.
- Inexperienced or incompetent drivers.
- Neglecting a stop sign or traffic light.
- Malfunctioning signals at intersections.
- Poor, fading, or missing signage or paint for crosswalks.
- Poor road design; such roads might have poor crosswalk positions that do not consider upstream and downstream traffic flows.
The above list shows that most pedestrian accidents are caused by driver negligence and carelessness. For instance, when a driver or motorist fails to stop for people in a crosswalk, doesn’t leave sufficient stopping distance, or drives too fast where people are on foot, that’s a recipe for a fatal pedestrian accident.
Who is Liable in a Pedestrian Accident in Riverside?
The primary causes of pedestrian accidents in Riverside are reckless, distracted, and negligent drivers, making them most liable for any injuries and damages caused. Other liable parties in a pedestrian accident include:
- Government entities or departments charged with road design and maintenance.
- Vehicle owners for giving their vehicle to an incompetent or inexperienced driver.
- Vehicle manufacturer.
- Car passenger(s).
- Construction crews or companies that block crosswalks, sidewalks, or trails without proper warning and signage.
Your pedestrian accident might involve two or more parties, making it even more difficult to make a claim and get compensation on your own. Our attorneys are competent enough to deal with every liable party for maximum compensation, giving you the chance to focus on recovery.
Pedestrians’ Rights and Responsibilities in Riverside
The most important pedestrian right in the country, thus Riverside, is the right of way in marked or unmarked crosswalks. When a traffic light turns green, pedestrians have the right to move in the direction of the green traffic signal.
Motorists approaching a crosswalk must reduce speed and stop to safeguard pedestrian safety. Drivers should also give drivers the right of way when entering or emerging from a building, driveway, alleyway, or private road. However, some drivers in Riverside ignore pedestrians’ right of way and cause accidents.
Remember, road safety is a collective effort of all road users, pedestrians, and motorists. Although you, as a pedestrian, have the right of way in the mentioned situations, you must also abide by the traffic rules to avoid accidents. You’re required to:
- Use designated crosswalks.
- Follow traffic laws and signals.
- Pay attention when crossing streets.
- Being cautious all the time to ensure safety. Don’t go darting in front of cars just because you are at a crosswalk.
Damages Available for a Pedestrian Accident in Riverside
An accident involving a pedestrian and a motorist can be fatal, given that you don’t have anything to protect yourself from injury. Injuries and damages come at a cost. You have the right to full compensation for the following damages:
- Medical bills, including diagnostic tests, treatment, medications, supportive medical equipment, and rehabilitation.
- Lost wages and loss of earning capacity.
- Burial or funeral costs.
- Cost of substitute domestic services.
- Loss of use of property.
- Any other direct monetary loss.
- Pain and suffering.
- Mental anguish.
- Loss of consortium.
Our Riverside Pedestrian Accident Lawyers Can Help
Accidents, in almost all cases, are life-altering. The hassle it takes to deal with insurance companies, recover from injuries, and make insurance claims can be stressful alone. If you are a victim of a pedestrian accident in Riverside, The JLF Firm’s attorneys can help with your claim or build a case in court.
Once you contact us, our attorneys will:
- Investigate the pedestrian accident to determine the liable party and prove liability through interviewing eyewitnesses, examining every available data, reading police reports, and involving expert witnesses whenever necessary.
- Figure out total losses by taking into account all your bills and future expenses.
- Making your claim with the insurance company.
- Building a case in court if the insurance company or liable party refuses to settle outside court.
- Proving your case to get fair compensation.
Contact Our Pedestrian Accident Lawyers
At The JLF Firm, we:
- have highly experienced pedestrian accident attorneys ready to listen and help you out.
- handle your case on a contingency fee basis, meaning that you owe us nothing unless we recover money for you.
- offer free consultations.
- give your case personal treatment.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us today for a free consultation to learn more about how we can help after a pedestrian accident.
Riverside Pedestrian Accident Lawyer FAQs
Should I get a lawyer for an accident that was partially my fault?
It’s advisable to get a lawyer to advocate on your behalf if you feel that your insurance company isn’t doing enough.
How much time do I have to file a pedestrian accident lawsuit?
The statute of limitations in California requires that you file a pedestrian accident lawsuit within two years from the date of the accident.