Rideshares are a popular means of transport in Riverside and all over California. Not only is it super easy to hail an Uber or Lyft at any time, but it’s also affordable and convenient. However, as rideshares grow in popularity, so does the number of accidents involving these vehicles.
If you or a loved one is in a rideshare accident that results in injuries, you can legally file for compensation from the at-fault party. This post explains the process of establishing liability after a rideshare accident and how a Riverside car accident lawyer can help you win your claim.
Causes of Uber & Lyft Accidents
Uber and Lyft drivers have a duty to care for their passengers and other motorists on the road. Even so, many still get into accidents due to unsafe driving habits. The common reasons for tragic Uber and Lyft accidents in Riverside are:
Many Uber and Lyft drivers use their phones when driving, whether it’s to check for directions via GPS, talk, or text. These distracted driving habits cause drivers to take their eyes off the road, resulting in accidents.
The more passengers an Uber or Lyft driver transports, the higher they’re likely to earn at the end of the day. As such, most drive at alarming speeds to get their passengers to their destination within the shortest time, increasing the likelihood of an accident.
For many rideshare drivers, working more hours means higher pay. Driving for long hours without breaks leaves most Uber and Lyft drivers drowsy and unable to concentrate, making them more likely to get into an accident.
Rideshare drivers under the influence of alcohol and other drugs have impaired judgment and vision that causes them to engage in reckless driving practices like driving at high speeds, weaving between lanes, and tailgating other drivers. All these tendencies increase the risk of getting into a wreck.
Uber and Lyft both have a low barrier to entry for prospective drivers. They also do not offer their drivers any special training before commissioning them to transport passengers. This means that some drivers lack the experience or skill to respond to tough traffic conditions, which puts passengers at a higher risk of an accident.
Rideshare Accident Injuries
Numerous personal injuries can occur after a rideshare accident, ranging from minor to life-altering injuries. It depends on factors like the weather condition, speed, and size of the Uber or Lyft at the time of the accident. Injuries that are commonly witnessed after a Riverside road accident include:
- Trauma: This includes blunt force trauma, penetrating trauma, and internal trauma
- Traumatic brain injury: This could range from mild concussions to serious brain injuries that cause death or comma
- Spinal cord injuries and back injuries: This involves dislocation, breaking, or crushing of the spinal cord vertebrae
- Fractures and broken bones: Ranging from torn ligaments to damaged wrists, knees, and shoulders
- Lacerations: Severe damage to the skin, muscles, and other tissues
- Whiplash: a soft tissue injury to the neck
If you experience any of these injuries after a rideshare accident, a Riverside Lyft and Uber accident lawyer can help you obtain full compensation for damages caused by your injury.
Insurance and Liability for Uber & Lyft Accidents
Both Uber and Lyft offer up to $1 million in coverage for injuries caused by road accidents involving their vehicles. However, to receive this compensation, you must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the company is liable for your accident. In many scenarios, you must establish:
- That the Uber or Lyft driver was logged into the Uber or Lyft app
- That the driver had accepted a passenger request on the app and was on route to pick them up
- That the driver was on a route taking a passenger to their destination
If a rideshare driver acts against company policies, resulting in an accident, you can pursue a claim against the driver. Rideshare drivers are required to have personal insurance apart from the coverage provided by the parent company. Victims can also pursue compensation from a third-party vehicle if the driver of another vehicle is partly responsible for the accident.
Recoverable Damages for Uber & Lyft Accidents
If you’ve been in a Riverside rideshare accident that resulted in injuries, a Riverside Uber accident lawyer can help you receive compensation for damages incurred. These include:
- Medical expenses: Covers the cost of inpatient and outpatient care, drug prescriptions, and any necessary medical services by a professional doctor.
- Lost wages: Covers income lost as a result of the time spent out of work when nursing injuries
- Loss of future earning capacity: Covers income lost due to the long-term debilitating effects of an injury, such as disability.
- Physical and emotional suffering: Compensation for physical and emotional distress caused by an injury
- Property damage: Covers damage to personal belongings due to a rideshare accident.
- Loss of consortium: Covers loss of guidance and love due to the death of a loved one involved in an accident (mainly in wrongful death cases).
How We Can Help
Uber and Lyft are billion-dollar companies with expensive legal teams and insurance firms on retainer. It can be difficult to go against such entities alone as they seek to protect their interests and bottom line. A Riverside rideshare accident lawyer can help you present the evidence necessary to win your personal injury claim.
At The JLF Firm, our Riverside Lyft accident lawyers can help you mount a solid case against Uber or Lyft, their drivers, or any other person liable for the accident. We will help you:
- Determine the party at fault by collecting various evidence from street cameras, witnesses and even recreating the scene of the accident
- Calculate the maximum value for your claim
- Issue the party at fault with a claim
- Negotiate fair out-of-court-settlement
- File a formal claim in court, if a settlement isn’t agreed upon
If the case goes to court, an aggressive Riverside Uber and Lyft accident lawyer will do the most to ensure you receive maximum compensation for you or a loved one. Call Riverside personal injury attorneys at The JLF Firm today at 888-341-3071. You can also contact us online to schedule a free consultation.
Riverside Uber and Lyft Accident FAQs
How long does California give Uber and Lyft accident victims to file a claim?
The state of California gives you two years to file a claim for compensation for an Uber or Lyft accident. However, compensation for property damage can occur after three years.
What steps should I take after a rideshare accident to protect my case?
To improve your chances of compensation, report the accident to the police, seek medical attention, record the vehicle’s information, note any witnesses and take pictures of the accident scene.
Do I have to settle, or can I go to court directly for a rideshare accident?
Negotiating a fair out-of-court settlement with your lawyer is essential to avoid the hassle of lengthy court processes. Only if the settlement isn’t fair should you go to court.