Bicycling is one of the most fulfilling hobbies and sports. As a popular recreational activity in Riverside, it’s an excellent way to get some exercise while enjoying the outdoors.
Unfortunately, bicycle accidents are not uncommon and can be life-altering if you or your loved one gets injured due to someone else’s negligence. You may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, lost wages, pain & suffering, and other damages.
Call a qualified Riverside bicycle accident lawyer as soon as possible for help. At The JLF Firm, we understand that these types of injuries can cause significant financial hardship. We will work hard to help you recover what you deserve. Contact us today at 888-341-3071 to schedule a free consultation with our Riverside bike accident lawyers.
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Riverside
Bicycle accidents involving vehicles happen due to several reasons, including but not limited to:
- Failure to yield right of way: A motorist failing to yield right of way to a bicyclist can lead to a crash. This happens because drivers often fail to see bicycles on their roadways. In addition, many motorists don’t realize that cyclists have the same rights as pedestrians under the law.
- Driving too fast: Speeding is a common cause of bicycle accidents. A motorist driving too fast increases the risk of crashing into a cyclist. They also pose a danger to themselves and others around them.
- Improper lane positioning: Motorists should always stay within their lanes when driving. If they cross over and move to the cycling lane, for instance, they expose unsuspecting cyclists to an immense risk of getting hit by a car.
- Distracted driving: Distracted driving is a significant factor in causing bicycle accidents. It includes talking on cell phones, eating food, drinking alcohol, texting, and other behaviors. These activities take away from the attention needed to drive safely.
- Inadequate lighting conditions: Poorly lit roads make it harder for drivers to spot bicycles. This increases the chances of crashes occurring.
What Injuries Can You Sustain in a Bicycle Accident?
A bicycle accident can result in various injuries, depending on how severe the collision was. Some of the more common injuries include:
- Broken bones: Bones are very vulnerable to injury during a bicycle accident. A broken bone can require surgery, time off from work, and even physical therapy.
- Torn ligaments or tendons: Ligaments and tendons connect muscles to bones. They provide stability and support. Tearing one of these structures can cause extreme pain and disability.
- Concussions: Concussions occur when your brain gets jostled around inside your skull. They can cause dizziness, headaches, nausea, vomiting, blurred vision, confusion, memory loss, and other symptoms.
- Fractures: Fractures can result from direct trauma or indirect forces. Indirect fractures are those that occur due to impact forces.
- Lacerations: Lacerations are cuts or wounds that go through the skin. They can range from minor scratches to deep puncture wounds.
- Severe head injuries: Severe head injuries can cause death and leave the victim with permanent disabilities.
If you or your loved one has sustained any of the above injuries due to someone else’s negligence, don’t hesitate to speak to a reliable Riverside bike accident attorney. We will review your case, explain what happened, and help you get compensation for all of your losses.
Who is Liable for a Bicycle Accident?
Depending on the circumstances surrounding the incident, various parties may be liable for the bike accident that happens to you. The following are some examples of who might be held responsible:
- The driver of the vehicle. If the motorist who caused the bicycle accident acted negligently or maliciously, they might be held liable.
- Roadway entities. Roadways agencies are usually required to maintain public roads properly. When they fail to do so, they may be held accountable.
- An employer. If the employee who caused the accident was driving a commercial vehicle while working for their employer, the employer could be held liable.
How to Avoid Bicycle Accidents and Injuries
While most accidents happen abruptly, there are ways to prevent them as a bicyclist. Here are some tips to keep you and others safe:
- Wear a helmet. Helmets protect your head and reduce the risk of injury.
- Use hand brakes. Hand brakes allow you to slow down without having to dismount.
- Stay alert and pay attention to traffic conditions.
- Always ride within your lane and obey posted speed limits.
- Don’t assume that drivers see you. Be sure to signal before changing lanes or turning.
- Be aware of other vehicles around you. Look both ways when crossing intersections.
What Should You Do After a Bicycle Accident?
Here are the key steps you should follow after a Riverside bicycle accident to make things easier for yourself:
- Remain at the scene and call first responders. Your priority should always be to stay safe. Call 911 if you need medical assistance.
- Take pictures of the scene. Take photos of the damage to your bicycle and the area where the accident occurred. These images can prove helpful later.
- Get names and contact information from witnesses. Witnesses may know something about how the accident occurred. Ask them questions about the event.
- Contact a Riverside bicycle accident lawyer. A personal injury attorney will help you file a claim against any party liable for the accident.
A Riverside bike accident attorney can help you recover compensation for injuries sustained in a bicycle accident. If you were injured in a bicycle accident, please contact our office today. We offer free consultations and work on a contingency fee basis, so you won’t owe us anything until we win your case.
How to Obtain Maximum Compensation with a Lawyer’s Help
As we hinted earlier, you may be entitled to such damages as:
- Medical bills (past and future)
- Lost wages and damage to career
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Physical therapy
- Transportation costs to and from doctoral appointments
- Mental anguish
- Damage to your bike and other personal items
- Other out-of-pocket costs related to the bike accident
But the big question is, how can a qualified Riverside bicycle accident lawyer help you obtain maximum compensation for your losses? Here’s a quick breakdown:
- Initial case review. An experienced bicycle accident lawyer will conduct an initial case review to determine whether you have a valid claim. We will also assess the liability of each party involved in the accident.
- Evidence collection. Once we have determined that you have a viable claim, we will begin collecting evidence. This includes gathering statements from witnesses and taking photographs of the scene of the accident.
- Legal research. We will then perform legal research to determine which laws apply to your situation. We will also examine what types of insurance coverage are available to compensate you for your losses.
- Negotiations. Once we have gathered the necessary evidence, we will negotiate with the responsible parties’ insurance companies. We will do everything possible to get you the best settlement possible.
- File suit. Should we fail to reach a settlement agreement, we will file suit against the responsible parties. The lawsuit will allow you to seek maximum monetary compensation for your losses.
Contact Our Bicycle Accident Lawyers at The JLF Firm Today
If you or someone close to you has been injured in a bicycle accident due to another person’s negligence, you deserve justice. Our firm offers free consultations, and we work under a contingency fee arrangement, so there is no risk involved when you hire us.
Please contact us online or call us today at 888-341-3071 to speak with one of our attorneys.
Riverside Bicycle Accident FAQs
What is a “contingency fee” law practice?
In California, if you’re represented by a lawyer who works on a contingency fee basis — meaning they don’t charge you unless they win your case — you pay them nothing upfront.
Why should I hire a lawyer instead of just filing my bike accident claim?
An experienced Riverside bicycle accident lawyer at The JLF Firm will know exactly what to do to maximize your chances of recovering full compensation for your losses. They will conduct thorough investigations and gather the relevant evidence to prove your case. They will also ensure that you understand your rights and responsibilities before signing any documents.