Slip and falls are more common and injurious than you could imagine. Yet, many people do not take such cases seriously, assuming that they will heal on their own or that it is too expensive to pursue legal action.
However, nothing could be further from the truth, as more than 1 million Americans visit the emergency room yearly due to slip and fall injuries. And they end up incurring an average of $30,000 in hospital and medical costs.
So if you or your loved one have been injured in a slip and fall accident due to someone else’s negligence, you have the right to pursue financial compensation. An experienced Riverside slip and fall lawyer from The JLF Firm can help you get the justice you deserve.
We understand how devastating these accidents can be and know what it takes to recover damages. Our firm has recovered millions of dollars for our clients over the years, so we know what steps to take to win your case.
We offer free initial consultations at no obligation. Call us today at 888-341-3071 or contact us online to schedule yours.
Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents in Riverside
Most slips and falls occur when property owners fail to keep their environment safe and secure for visitors. Here are the most common causes of such accidents:
- Wet or slippery floors: This includes water leaks, puddles, and spills. A damp floor may also result from improper maintenance by the property owner.
- Improperly maintained walkways: Slippery surfaces like ice, snow, mud, sand, gravel, and other debris can lead to life-altering injuries.
- Unsecured objects: These include loose rugs, furniture, toys, and other items that can cause harm.
- Lighting problems: Poor lighting conditions can make walking hazardous. Inadequate lighting can also contribute to poor visibility, which makes it harder to avoid obstacles.
- Unsafe stairs: Stairs should be well-lit and kept clear of obstructions. They should also be adequately maintained and inspected regularly.
- Unsafe handrails: Handrails should be sturdy enough to prevent slipping. If there are any cracks or holes, they could cause severe injuries to unsuspecting visitors.
- Inadequate signage: Failure to mount signs with disclaimers like “wet floor” can leave visitors unaware of potential dangers.
If you or a loved one has suffered an injury due to any of the above slip and fall accident causes, call The JLF Firm today at (888)303-9472 to speak with a Riverside slip and fall lawyer about pursuing compensation.
Common Slip and Fall Injuries
What injuries can you sustain in a slip and fall accident? These include:
- Broken bones can result from falling onto hard surfaces, but they can also happen when you trip and land on another object.
- Head injuries can range from minor cuts and bruises to concussions and even skull fractures. They occur when you hit your head on the floor or against an object in a slip and fall incident.
- Internal bleeding can result from splintered bones, internal organ damage, or puncture wounds.
- Lacerations can result from slipping and falling on a sharp object that scratches or cuts your skin.
- Internal organ damage can result from hitting your body against something during a fall.
- Neck injuries can result from being thrown forward or backward. They can also occur when you twist your neck to avoid an obstacle.
- Spinal cord injuries can result from a fall that causes you to lose consciousness.
- Torn ligaments can result from a fall if you land awkwardly on your leg or arm.
- Soft tissue injuries can result from falling on your hands, knees, shoulder, or other delicate or vulnerable body parts.
- Other injuries include sprains, strains, contusions, and lacerations.
Who’s Liable for a Slip and Fall Injury in Riverside?
Slip and falls are a premises liability case since the property owner is responsible for maintaining their property, so it becomes safe for guests. That is adequately stipulated in California Civil Code 1714, which partly states: “everyone is responsible, not only for the result of his or her willful acts but also for an injury occasioned to another by his or her want of ordinary care or skill in the management of his or her property or person…”
In other words, if you slip and fall because someone failed to maintain their property, they’re liable for your injuries. This includes failure to warn of hazards, improper maintenance, or inadequate safety measures.
Nonetheless, the law does not compel the owner to carry liability for all slip and fall injuries on their property. Thus, you must prove the following to be able to hold the property owner liable:
- The property owner had actual or constructive knowledge of the hazard.
- The property owner knew or should have known the danger posed by the hazard.
- The hazard caused your injury.
- The property owner failed to use reasonable care to protect you from the hazard.
As you can probably tell, proving the above circumstances is not always easy. But with an experienced Riverside slip and fall lawyer by your side, you’ll have the upper hand and higher chances of obtaining maximum compensation. In addition, we know how to navigate the legal framework by gathering sufficient evidence and presenting it in a way that supports your case.
Compensation Available for a Slip and Fall
If you suffer severe injuries from a slip and fall on someone else’s property, you may be entitled to recover economic and non-economic damages. These include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages and loss of earning capacity
- Physical pain and anguish
- Special medical equipment, e.g., wheelchair
- Physical/rehabilitative therapy
- Cost of transportation to doctor’s appointments
- Out-of-pocket costs
How Can a Riverside Slip and Fall Lawyer Help?
Our slip and fall lawyers offer various services to help you win your case. Here are some of them:
- Investigate your case to obtain as much information about the incident as possible.
- Identify witnesses who saw what happened before, during, and after the accident.
- Collect documents such as police reports, emergency room records, insurance policies, etc.
- Obtain expert witness testimony regarding the cause of your injuries.
- Prepare a strong argument based on the facts gathered.
- Negotiate a fair settlement offer.
At The JLF Firm, we are a team of highly knowledgeable and experienced personal injury attorneys committed to helping our clients get justice. If you believe your slip and fall accident is due to someone else’s negligence, please contact us online or call 888-341-3071. We’ll review your case for free and strategize with you on how best to proceed.
Slip and Fall Case FAQs
Can I sue a government agency for my slip and fall accident?
Yes, but you must first show that the government entity was negligent. For example, if you slipped on a sidewalk maintained by the city, you could sue the city.
What if I slip and fall at work?
You may sue your employer under the Workers’ Compensation Act. However, you must file a claim within two years of being hurt. You must also prove that your job duties contributed to your injury.